Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

H A P P Y C A N A D A D A Y from Ottawa!

So, the lovely thing about having no schedule and no particular itinerary is that you can be lost and not even know it.

Today, I set Miss Hathaway up to take me somewhere close to Ottawa but to avoid all major highways.

It was a beautiful clear blue day to meander through the kelly green farmlands north of Toronto and then to re-experience the Canadian Shield around the Kawartha Lakes before slipping down into the wooded Ottawa Valley. The roads she took me on were in pretty reasonable shape but bereft of large transport trucks and anyone who was in much of a hurry.


Now, there are some pros and cons about traveling this way. The pros, as I mentioned, are light traffic; the sighting of many more animals (now I know where all the deer crossing signs should be); an absence of radar and radar-toting OPP's; no traffic lights in the middle of nowhere; the chance to drive through (not around) some very picturesque towns; and the chance to be able to look around and really enjoy the scenery.

The cons, on the other hand include a lack of service stations (it's OK I filled up yesterday); the lack of Tim's coffee; passing lanes; well spaced direction, highway and speed limit signs.

On the whole, I enjoyed the pros much more.


None the less, I spent most of the day, not knowing exactly where I was – but I did see a beaver beside the road, so I figured I must still be in Canada.


Tomorrow, I'm off to Ottawa – since there is no more fitting place to spend Canada Day – in my estimate.


Every store here sells fireworks so I imagine July first will be a real delight for my cats. Last night we had a big thunder storm and this morning they were still in their hidy holes. They have settled in to traveling now and while Nosey hides under the bed behind my suitcase, Digit climbs up into the bed under the covers and travels there. Once I stop and the air conditioner comes on, it seems to be their cue that they can come out for the evening.


I had the most delightful week with my best friend Ann last week as we toured the Muskokas and Algonquin Park areas. One of the great inequities in life is that she and I live in opposite parts of the country but I treasure her friendship and my cats are wondering where the cat-nip lady went. Clark, Anns husband is a pretty handy guy and was able to fix or answer many questions about running the motor home and that was so much appreciated. Love you guys!
I'm just 40 minutes outside Ottawa tonight, but have no wifi here so in case it is a few days until I get connected again.


Happy Canada Day everyone!