Search This Blog

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I started out for Nova Scotia and ended up in Kandahar

So, I'm finally on the road. This blog will have to go by the name: I started out for Nova Scotia and ended up in Kandahar. Who knew Saskatchewan had a town by that name?
My cats who used to be called Digit and Nosey, and now have much more colourful names did not ENJOY their first day on the road. One howled from her crate and the other one from the bathroom and there was only so much volume in the old stereo. They are out of their confinement and getting to know the motorhome right now and seem a lot happier. Hopefully they'll adapt quickly. And speaking of road kill – there can't be a living porcupine between Saskatoon and Yorkton.
I had heard of the disappearing grain elevators of Saskatchewan, but today I was a witness. You used to be able to see the next town's elevator soon after you left the last place. I think I saw only about 3 all day.
There's a little town called Islinger that has the cutest little Ukranian Church. It looks like it could be one of those nesting toys where you open it and find an even smaller one inside.
Two quick observations:
Saskatchewan improves their highways from the big cities outward.
What I had expected to be wide open flat prairie between Saskatoon and Yorkton was actually a beautiful, green, rolling countryside with amazing stretches of wetland and an abundance of bird life.
Tomorrow is the 65th anniversary of D-Day and I can't help but think of my Dad. He was one of 13,000 Canadian Airmen, Sailors and Soldiers who landed on Juno Beach. Tomorrow I am heading off to Brandon to visit the British Commonwealth Air Training Museum. Hopefully they will be having some kind of commemoration to celebrate the day.

7 comments:

  1. Guess you're committed to this now!! Any way you can make the blog so we can sign up to get it by email?? Maybe via Feedblitz? Hope the cats settle soon, for all your sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought of dad too & all the stories he didn't get to tell us.

    glad to hear you're on the road & look forward to following your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Miss our chats. Travel safe and I look forward to more of your travel stories. Take care,
    kas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mom, let us know where you at. Sad, Stetson going to vet today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn,

    I laughed so hard when I read your blog. How someone can make a trip to Yorkton so interesting is beyond me. I love your stories. Keep writing.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn,
    Great to hear from you. Look forward to reading about your adventures and how your cats adapt. Take care, Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still think you're nuts, but good for you for going for it! Hope the cats settle in, because that sounds like torture!!

    Look forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete