Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Some Things Never Change!


Some things change a lot over time. Yesterday, I went driving around my old neighbourhood - Carlingwood - in Ottawa. I drove past my old house and my old school where I spent every winter night skating and every summer night playing baseball. With the exception of the growth of the trees in the area - it all looked pretty much the same as it did back in the day... I drove past the old swimming hole at Lake Duchene and it has been turned into a lake front condo development. Another thing that doesn't change much here are the crazy drivers. I felt like I was back home in Saskatoon. I had also forgotten that when there is a holiday in this fair city - everything (and I mean, everything) shuts down with the exception of some drugstores and corner shops. And since I had not done a grocery shop yesterday, I am dining a la cuisine de Shoppers Drug Mart tonight. (See, my french is coming back).

I had a lovely lunch today with my cousin Mary Lee and her husband Colin today. It was great to catch up and we spent some time looking at some old family photos. There was one of cousins Robert and Allan (ages 4-6) all dressed up in sweaters and berets (very European and very funny, if you could see the pair of them now).

Tonight, I am going in to Greely - the local community - to watch the fireworks and then tomorrow I am heading off to Morrisburg to see some of the historical sites in that area.

I'm a little apprehensive about crossing into Quebec, but I think if Miss Hathaway carries on in English, she should get me through to New Brunswick by the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment