Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Some Beach!



Today, I am camped within feet of the Atlantic Ocean at Dalhousie, NB. There's an actual real-life lighthouse right outside my door. Finally, we're (me and the cats) having great sunny weather and I can just smell the lobster from here.

The pompous moose (is that a grapefruit?) from Quebec road signs, called Prudence have given way to a much mellower looking fellow in New Brunswick. AND they actually have them here. I saw 2 cow moose grazing beside the highway this morning and if there hadn't been a big truck on my tail, I would have stopped for photos.

I have been quite blown away by the wild flowers along the roadside. There are millions of lupins in every colour you can imagine. Cream thru pink thru blue thru mauve all the way to deep royal purple. These are bedded down in massive patches of white daisies and dotted with wild tiger lilies. The whole picture is framed by acres and acres of - what I assume are fiddlehead ferns. Breathtaking!

New Brunswick has been a delightful surprise. The countryside is beautiful and mountainous (not the Rockies but enough to make my ears pop) and the roads are by far the best I've come across. This area abounds with the most perfect Christmas tree pines and the air is a spicy mix of salt water and the forest.

Now, I'm going beach combing. Sure wish I'd remembered to bring my binocs.

1 comment:

  1. Are you still in NB, Servier reps are watching out for the crazy cat lady!!

    ReplyDelete