Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2009

I took a GAMBLE and won!



July 11

Finally! After 5 weeks on the road, I am in Nova Scotia today. I got here early as there seem to be fewer campgrounds to choose from and many of the ones I looked at were jam packed and not very appealing. So, I'm at the Amherst Shore Provincial Park.

As is my new habit, I usually treat myself to a little nap after a long drive. Today, when I woke up, I thought I had gone deaf. The only sound I could hear were the little waves sipping at the red sand shoreline.


I'm only 45 k from the family seat but want to get some laundry done and get myself re-organized before making my presence known. This area reminds me so much of Bragg Creek (plus a great big ocean) that I can see why my grandfather and great uncle chose the land west of Calgary to settle.
July 13
After 3 days and nights without my wifi, I am glad to be back on the net. I have been driving through my spiritual homeland today and seeing, for real, the names and places I have been working on in my genealogy persuits for such a long time. The photo above is the Bass River Museum and I stopped in there because it was raining and because I saw that the door was open. The young lady inside began poking through records for the Gambles (my grandmother's family) and pulled out a 4 inch binder full of information about the family. It contains papers, legal documents, census records and many letters from family members over decades recounting various family stories and memories. The ladies are going to make me a copy at (get this) 5 cents a page. They also have all the cemetery records for the area so, tomorrow, I am going grave jumping in Bass River. Can't wait!!
I finally had to use my generator the other night in a provincial park and now I know I have about 8 hours of power on a tank of gas. The only problem is that it's a bit noisy so I didn't keep in to unless I needed it.
Nova Scotia, so far is pretty and smells much more like the ocean than New Brunswick did. Fortunately for me, it's lobster season so - guess what's on the menu for tonight?

1 comment: