Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2009

I think we've landed in Kansas, Toto!



Bon jour, Au Jourdui je suis en la coeur de Quebec. Aidez-moi!!!!

Yesterday I entered the Province of Quebec at about 10:00 am and really do feel like I'm in a different country. To begin with, I've noticed the way Quebois have a flair for the extreme. The worst roads and the most Arretez signs I've ever seen. There are no uncontrolled intersections here – every single one is a four way stop. Can you imagine how long it took to get through Montreal? I

saw my first depanneur (corner store) and caleche (horse drawn carriage) and was amused to see that there are as many PFK (Poulet Frit Kentuckie) here as there are in southern Ontario.


Once I got out in the country, I realized I was in corn country. Corn fields – as far as the eye can see. (not as high as an elephant's eye, yet – but it's early in the season).
Two things that have rather surprised me are the lack of quaint stone farmhouses and religious shrines. You could take any farmhouse here and plunk it down in Perdue and it would fit right in. The only difference is that here they all seem to have two or three gigantic silos build of cinder block. As to the religious shrines, I remember them from my travels in my teens but times have changed and perhaps I haven't been in the right places.


Again, I let Miss Hathaway guide me through the roads less travelled and a drove through some quaint and lovely villages where the multi-coloured little houses sit right on the roadside with no front yards. Each one seems to have a porch with a rocker and a 'grandpa' sitting there watching the world go by. Each village has a red brick church with a tall cream coloured steeple – the tallest building in the town.


Driving is a bit more of a challenge here, as I have to translate as I go along.


Tonight, I'm at Quebec City and plan to stay a day or two to see some of the sights. I won't be crossing the St Laurence again any time soon. The tunnel that leads to the bridge is about 4 inches wider than my motorhome and the bridge which is a kilometre or more wide is one of those metal ones you can see through. Tummy knots time.


It's the beginning of my second month on the road and I can't believe it. The time has just clipped along but I'm within easy days of my target so all is well.


Ode to the Golden Arches

I've been driving for hours and hours
And I'm getting quite numb in the seat
I've seen sights that were so pretty
But I'd really like something to eat.

Then over a hill I espy them
Like a beacon of hope in the night
Those beautiful Golden Arches
And the end of my hunger in sight

I'm not really big on their burgers
Tasting like old glue as they do
But I love their Chicken Caesars
As a matter of fact, I'll have two.

No matter the province I'm travelling
Or how far into the country I roam
Those beautiful Golden Arches
Remind me I'm not far from home.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, can you send me an address for a cousin you will be visiting, I want to send you something. Nothing too exciting here, Shane played with his colt this weekend. Megan and I rode our ponies yesterday, and on Saturday Studz met with his new massage therapist for 2 hours (did you know barrel horses can be real divas?). I am finally caught up comuter and printer replaced after two weeks offline, a ton of paperwork to submit but I just finished it all, phew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey no new rain here but Hanna, AB getting 150mm, wierd hey?

    ReplyDelete