Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2009

One more road trip


So, what's more fun than driving through Montreal in morning rush hour (6 lanes of traffic going 20k for over an hour and a half)? Absolutely everything? However, once past Montreal, the TransCanada spread out wide and beautiful all the way to Morrisburg. I got up early in the morning to try and make some miles before the heat of the day and also to get past the crossing of the St Lawrence. I don't like big, long, high bridges so I told myself to be brave and just go for it. Well, what a surprise – instead of a bridge, there was a lovely, bright, well lit tunnel. Bravery wasted!


I said I would open my mind about travelling in Quebec and I did. So here are the bests and the worsts. The best is that you can get through Quebec, from New Brunswick to Ontario in one fairly easy day. The worst is that everyone drives like they are in the Indie 500 and there is a death penalty for losing.

I have great respect for the rights of Quebecers to their language and all, but found that it isn't very tourist friendly. A good example are the construction zones. All the instructions are only in French so you have to take a good guess at what you're supposed to do.

However, Quebec is very beautiful and I did enjoy the bits I saw.


So the picture of the day is the Maitland River near Goderich Ontario and we are camped within feet of the riverbank. It makes a lovely sound since we are miles from any kind of noise polution. I picked up Ann on my way through Sharon and we are now going to explore the Lake Huron area. There are some incredible beaches in the area and being a week day, not too crowded.

Today, we're going to Kinkora where the other side of my family is from and once again, we'll be doing the cemetery tour.

As I am beginning to make my way back west, I'm still amazed at the beauty I've encountered along the way and I realize how lucky we are to live in such a rich and vibrant place.

to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment