Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Kindred Spirits



So guess where I went today? I couldn't be this close and not go to see the setting of my favorite all time story, Anne of Green Gables. The whole time I was there I kept thinking about comedian, Ron James' routine about visiting Green Gables and asking the guide if "this room was where Anne wrote her stories?" "She isn't real, you know." said the guide "She's just a character in a novel." Well this morning she felt quite real.

On the way home I started thinking about Kindred Spirits and how that has pretty much summed up my trip so far. I have reconnected with many of the kindred spirits in my life, my best friend, Ann; Charlotte and Mary Lee, my cousins; My niece Dani and her wonderful family and hundreds of spirits from my family's history.

I have to talk about the people of Nova Scotia. I would love to bundle up the whole bunch and take them home with me. I stopped to ask for directions yesterday, and without a lie, the man said to me, "Go down the road about 2 miles until you come to a red barn on the right side of the road and if you get there you'll know you've gone too far. Turn around and take the first road on the left. You can't miss it" If he had said "recalculating" or "make a U turn", I would have thought I was talking to my GPS (Who, by the way, has no respect for authority - I still control the on/off switch). Anyway, I have found people here so warm and welcoming - ready to do anything for you.

It's August 1st today and I'm beginning to think it's about time I started heading - slowly - for home. I want to have enough time to see more good stuff on the way back but I can't help thinking about how beautiful Saskatoon is in the fall and how much I miss my kids and my grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment