Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

Do I LOOK that crazy?


New Brunswick is known for its covered bridges - which is good because it is raining cats and dogs here today. I, however, decided that caution was the prudent thing to do, so I didn't cross - I went around.
Nova Scotia cried when I left this morning and it has been all I could do today not to turn around and take "just a couple more days". I didn't though since there really is so much more to see and experience before I get home.
I stopped at Pugwash on the way and picked up my books and just as I was leaving town I spotted a sign by the road that reduced me to uncontrollable giggles. As you know, much of this journey has been spent in cemeteries, so imagine my delight to see a beautifully groomed, very old cemetery with a YARD SALE sign right near the front entrance? I would have stopped but there didn't seem to be anyone above grass around who could tell me which ones were for sale.
Once again, I really have to hand it to New Brunswick highways - smooth and divided all the way from Truro.
I've talked before about men of a certain age and how they dress in campgrounds. The past 9 weeks has taught me that they have distinct personality types too (All seeming to require as little work out of them as possible).
First, there is the GENERAL. He arrives with a tent trailer, a van full of kids and a roof rack piled at least 6 feet high. Right out of the driver's seat he starts barking orders. He stalks around directing everyone's activities and they're so busy, they don't realize he hasn't lifted a finger. His wife usually looks like she'd rather be having a root canal. He has every camping gadget known to man, including a porta-biffy and a solar weather radio.
The second one is the TIM TAYLOR dude. He thinks he knows everything but every move he makes is wrong. Backwards, upside down, parked at an angle - Finally his family plunks him down in a lawn chair and has him change the batteries in the flashlight, while they set up camp.
The third guy is the GOOD OLD BOY. He isn't out of his vehicle 5 minutes when he's got the Alexander Keith's cracked and is having a long and stimulating conversation with his counterpart across the way. Pretty soon, both of them wander off - beers still in hand - to find some other good old boy to help solve the problems of the world. In the mean time, the families are left back at the campsite doing all the work.
Campin' is for the men. CAMPING takes a woman to manage.
Will Rogers said,

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip."
to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment