Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Farewell to Nova Scotia!

This little ship is called the Jerusha after our 5th great grandmother Jerusha Peers. She was built in Wallace, Nova Scotia and is in the process of being restored to sailing condition. Not the Queen Mary - but significant all the same.


Tomorrow, Nellie will turn her nose westward and begin the long trek home. Miss Hathaway will be back on duty and the cats will be back under the bedclothes. I will be feeling rather sad to leave a place I have come to love so much in such a short time. I've LOVED the ocean, the people and the interesting little places I have found myself.


I have to stop by Pugwash and pick up my copy of The Valley of the Remsheg - which outlines the arrival of our United Empire Loyalist ancestors to the area around Wentworth and Wallace and I may (just one last time) hop out and photograph some tombstones. I have so much work ahead of me, getting all this information sorted out and entered into my website. One of the documents I got is 347 pages of new genealogical information - so I know what my fall and winter will look like.

This trip has been all about family. Discovering family I didn't know about; reconnecting with family I haven't seen for a long time and then finally heading home to the family I miss a lot. Who knew there were so many of them?

I haven't seen a TV screen since June 4th and it is going to take forever to catch up on Coronation Street. I have, however, enjoyed the constant companionship of CBC radio. Stewart McLean sounds just the same in Shubenachedie, Ste Agathe, Thunder Bay and Saskatoon.


So, Ann - you'll probably see me some time around next weekend. Carolyn, I'll see you on the 26th. And Russell, we'll be along your way about the 29th.

9 weeks on the road and to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment