Search This Blog

Monday, August 24, 2009

Maybe Martha is Mother Nature!


I was obviously the only one who felt like using the TransCanada Highway between Elliot Lake and Marathon today. It gave me a chance sit back, relax and take a good look at the scenery. The last time I came through this way, I was about 4 or 5 days into my trip and still at that white knuckle stage where I felt like every transport truck was going to blow me into the ditch or over a big cliff.
I'm amazed at the rock formations along side the road. Huge rocks blasted apart to make the road bed resulting in the most colourful and beautiful geometric designs. From black through red to creamy white, it's like watching clouds and seeing pictures in them. Some of them sparkle in the sun and most are decorated by those audacious, gnarly little evergreens and spikey mosses that cling there - growing in thimblesful of dirt deep down in the cracks.
There are lakes that could have been hand-mirrored by Martha herself that are dotted with tiny islands with perfectly placed trees that reflect in the water and are surrounded with lilly pads that are in full bloom this time of year. Frog heaven, for sure!
It was like deja vue today as I passed Mom Lake and then Baby Lake, but I had to smile, cause just down the way was Dad Lake, as well - I missed that one on my way through the first time.
This morning, driving was more like flying. Several times I was above the clouds and descended into a lovely fog - which sat just on top of the little lakes - very lovely in the early morning light.
to be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment