Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2013

From the Beak to the Pope's Nose of Lake Superior

View from the Highway

Wow!  Such a productive day!  689 km from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie.  Virtually over the top of Lake Superior with magnificent scenery and lots to keep me entertained.  And, to my delight - no gas price gouging that I've encountered in other years.

When I stopped for gas this morning, I met a man who was a 31 year veteran of the RCMP and who served with a friend of mine in Ottawa - small, small world!!

Men and their Toys
I've often espoused that for women camping is an art and for men it is a competitive sport.  Perfect proof happened by last night as I was trying to fix a leaky water hose.  These two good old boys were enjoying a beer together when they spotted my distress.  Over they came with tool box in hand and between them must have tried at least 14 ways to fix the problem.  Finally, they gave up and lent me one of their hoses for the night.  I was more inclined just to let it leak - after all - I had paid for the water.

Here is the traffic report from Highway 17 this morning:
Harley the Traffic Guy

Harley:  "This is Harley the Hang-glider bringing you all the latest traffic news from Thunder Bay to Marathon on this lovely Thursday morning!"

Jim:  "What can you see, Harley?"

Harley:  "Well, Jim, I saw a car on the road near Mud Lake and another one just past Rapid River.  Oh - I can see a little brown car by the Provincial Park!  Oh, no wait, Jim it's just a moose on the loose."

Jim:  "Anything else, Harley?"

Harley: "Well Jim, as usual, Officer Tubby is out doing his 10 am stop check over by the falls and there's a crazy old lady with a cat driving a motorhome and insisting to the Officer that she hadn't had a drink - YET!"

Jim: "Sounds like a pretty interesting morning, Harley........ Harley?  Harley   - Oops, sorry folks, seems like Harley has crash landed in Lou Bibby's Lily Pond again.  I guess that's all for the traffic report,"


A great day of driving - and almost at Ann's.  FINALLY!!

To be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment