Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Speed Bumpy Sort of Day.

Speed Bumps
Despite my best intentions to get on the road early and make some good time - the forces beyond my control had other plans for me.  Not one, not two but seven construction zones hampered my progress.  They were the type with a stop light and I hit every one just as my side turned red so had to wait for several dozen vehicles to make their way slowly through before it was my turn.  Then just after going through Ignace, there was a semi on its side in the ditch and the police had traffic stopped for about half an hour.  The driver, so the constable told me, was OK.  So my 5 hour drive was more like 7 and here I am in Thunder Bay.

Sleeping Giant - Thunder Bay
The one advantage of these little pauses was the chance to really look around and see the sights.  This part of the country is so beautiful, it's hard to keep my eyes on the road.  Huge, chunky rock formations, kelly green fields in broad sweeping valleys are such a distraction.  So were the little cobalt lakes with Thom Thompson trees growing on tiny rocky islands that scatter out alongside the road.  Awesome in every way!

Just after lunch I passed the RCMP Musical Ride heading for Kenora to perform at their annual fair.  Bill and Carolyn's friend Sherri rides with them and wouldn't she have been surprised if we bumped into each other - both so far from home.

Little church at Upsala
Passing through Upsala just a while back I noticed the lovely little wooden church - so reminiscent of the tiny churches that dot the Nova Scotia landscape.  This church, however, appears to be abandoned.  The paint is peeling and the place looks very run down. Such a shame!

Dad just after DDay in France
Today is the anniversary of D Day and I always think of Dad when it comes around.  Landing on the Normandy Beaches, his job as chief engineering officer was to prepare a landing strip and refueling depot for the allied air forces.  Their aim was to get the job done in three days, however, with bullets and bombs from both sides whizzing overhead, they managed to get it done in two.  It must have been a harrowing experience but he was
rewarded by receiving the Member of the British Empire Medal.  This was the highest award presented to ground crew during the war and when asked what it what it was for, he would just reply "My Bloody Effort"

1 comment:

  1. Always a pleasure to see your blog in the inbox. That top photo is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete