Search This Blog

Monday, August 1, 2011

Watch out for Miss Cranky Pants!

Camping Angels – Job well done!!! This morning I got up cranky at the thought of another day of trying to find a decent campground on the Saturday of a long weekend. After a conversation with Ann, I decided to let the angels take over – so I started out for Sault Ste Marie. I figured, if nothing else, maybe I would find some place in Michigan. About an hour down the road, I saw a sign for McIver's Cottages and Campground. I sailed right by but took a quick peek as I went. The place looked pretty empty (Uh, Oh – what's wrong with it?). As I drove along, though, I kept picturing the shady scene right on the river and my angels were telling me “Just go back and take a look!” So I pulled a Uey about 10 km down the road and came back. The place is full service – something quite rare in Ontario and the price was half what KOA was charging. So I booked in for a couple of nights to regroup before the long trip up over Lake Superior. Beautiful scenery, lovely river – Thanks, Angels!!

OK you campground people! LISTEN UP!!! If you have WIFI, say so, but if I have to stand on one foot facing north with a piece of tin foil in one ear, don't call it WIFI – it's NOFI. I know it's hard to keep up with technology – but it looks like you have been relying on your sister's 2nd cousin's nephew from the Future Shop for your WIFI advice. Here's what you need:

  • WIFI – must work consistantly in every site on your campground.
  • It is a public network and requires no password. Otherwise, Google Chrome users have to log on for every tab they use. Nuisance!!!!!
  • It should always be free – especially if you advertise it as an amenity. I don't pay extra for water, do I?

WIFI service in campgrounds is getting worse but the use of WIFI for travellers is just getting more and more important. I use it to find the most scenic or most direct route; to find campgrounds; to research local tourist attractions; to find service stations; to keep in touch with family and friends; to check the weather and news. It also provides me with music, radio and Coronation Street. SO YOU HAD BETTER SMARTEN UP!!!

OK Sign
Oh, and while I'm on a bit of a rant – Could you do something about your signs? At 100 kph, I don't have time to appreciate your creative little logo and festive fonts. I want CAMPING is big yellow letters on a black background, RV, WIFI and a distance and directional arrow. That's all! And would it hurt you to put out a Vacancy sign when you have spaces available? How much fun is it to walk into a campground office only to have a very self satisfied manager say, “Sorry, we're full”? NOT!

Thank you – I feel ever so much better!

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment