Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Agh!!! I've been Boonie-fied!

Booney-fi is the wifi you don't get when you're out in the boonies.  Since Wednesday morning I have been bereft of my favourite appendage and it has been like going without water on a hot day - However, I am now slaked and ready to blog!

This is my last day on the road and I realize it's time to go home as I'm having a spirited conversation with a fly that keeps peering up over the top of my computer screen and sticking his tongue out at me - or that keeps dancing a jig on the top of the Raid can.  Time he moved on - and so for me too!




I stopped at a rest stop for lunch today and this Canada Goose stands near the entrance.  He's about 15 feet in wing span and appears to be taking off over - two picnic tables.  I don't imagine too many people sit there to eat.

Wednesday, I had a great supper with Russ, Linda, Roan and Kieran in Winnipeg.  My favourite meal - BBQ and corn on the cob!  If this summer has taught me anything, it's the importance of family and so it was nice to have some time to catch up on all their news, see how much the boys have grown and admire Russ's carpentry skills - most impressive!

As I rolled along the Yellowhead west of Portage la Prairie this morning I was reminded why I'm a prairie girl at heart.  The sky was so big it felt like you could see forever (which is almost true).  The colour and texture of this part of the world changes from small town to small town.  At one place the fluorescent canola fields spread as far as your vision will take you.  Miles a sunflowers follow that, nodding to passersby as they follow the sun across the sky.  Lacy fields of ripe oats and big fat bales of hay and marshes guarded by tall bullrushes and teeming with waterfowl - so much to enjoy and no traffic to interfere with the viewing.

This afternoon, I stopped at Binscarth, Manitoba, just a tiny bit east of Russell.  This is one of those freaky little community campgrounds that costs next to nothing and has ------WIFI-------!  There is also an enormous community swimming pool and a miniature golf course.  So now I'm going to cap off my last full day by going for a swim, enjoying a glass of Fonda's fantastic wine and wifi-ing my head off.

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment