Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

Just for the Hill of It!

Yesterday I speculated that the price of gas was the main reason you don't see a lot of transport trucks on the Trans Canada Highway - most of them opting for the 90 something cents a litre south of the border.  This afternoon I was reminded of the other reason.  The trip from Marathon to Thunder Bay is amazing in its splendor, but there are some very long, twisting hills along the way.  I was behind one guy who was doing less than 15 kph by the time we reached to top of one of those hills.  That has got to be a tough way to make a living when every hour counts and every load is money in the pocket.  You can't blame them for choosing the flat, four lane divided highways of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas.

And speaking of those hills:  What would possess a relatively normal looking group of folks to hop on bikes and ride through this area?  Yesterday I saw a group of about 80 blue shirted members of some bike club pumping their way up and down some pretty steep inclines.  I'm sure going up is difficult but I think coming down the other side would rank up there with the Confederation Bridge for scary.  Hats (or should I say helmets)  off to you!

When I was about 12, my family took the Canadian Pacific Ferry, S.S. Keewatin from Midland, Ontario through to Port Arthur (Thunder Bay).  It was quite that journey including going through the locks at Sault Ste Marie and then travelling across the length of Lake Superior.  It was a two night, three day trip that included dining and dancing in the dining room (dressing for dinner, of course) and skeet shooting off the stern.  I danced with my Dad which was, I think, the one and only time that happened.  It was a highlight of that summer and the nearest I've been to a cruise.  Fond Memories!

For most of this summer, we've experienced rain, clouds and the occasional fog at night so last night was just a treat!  It was a clear night and out in the wilderness it felt like the stars were sitting on the tree tops.  Somewhere in the distance there was the flash of sheet lightening.  I sat out in the cool evening and enjoyed it better than Coronation Street.

To be continued........................

No comments:

Post a Comment