Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lord Thunderin' - Oh no, that's the wrong province.

Thunder Bay Grain Terminal
I always forget that Thunder Bay is a seaport city and that it is also a border city, so as I set out to do some exploring yesterday I kept being surprised at what I encountered.  I took a look at the enormous grain handling terminal at the port and all my Grade 8 Social Studies came flooding back.  This is North America's largest and covers acres and acres along the shore.




The Falls at Kakabeka
I drove a few km out of the city to visit Kakabeka Falls - having seen this sign but passed by on each of my other trips.  I truly am running out of words to describe the beauty of this country and this was a prime example.  I stood there in the heat of the day being cooled by the spray as the water hit the bottom of the falls and in the brilliant sunshine, little rainbows danced their way through the trees.  Awesome!



Old Fort William
Old Fort William was the original headquarters for the Northwest Company which, along with the Hudson's Bay Company had a major role in the opening up of Western Canada (more Grade 8 Social Studies).  The Fort has been restored with care and respect for all the people involved in the fur trade in the 1800s.  The interpreters, all in costume and character explained what they were doing as you passed by and the exhibits include sampling fresh bread from a stone oven and churning butter.  Really enjoyable!


When I did a blog about the way men set up a campsite as compared to the way a woman would, I was surprised by the response.  Of course, your motorhome has to be level!  I watched for a few days and sure enough it seems that the other thing men like to compare is the size of their level.  Swear to God - the guy next to me right now has a level that spans his whole back bumper.  So I thought I'd better do some research to find out what they knew that I didn't.  What I found out is that there are thousands of companies out there making money from a hundred different levels and just as many selling devices to level your RV if it's not!  My research told me that a level motor home is more comfortable.  So I guess I'm going to stick to my iPod level app and if I find the blood rushing to my head some night, I'll just get up and pull forward a foot or two.

To be continued................

No comments:

Post a Comment