Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just Call Me Mother Superior!

So, today I drove from Sault Ste Marie (gas $1.32) to Marathon (gas $1.45).  Fortunately I filled it way up and have enough to get me to Thunder Bay tomorrow where according to GasBuddy, KP Variety and Gas is selling for $112.5.

I'm actually at Ney's Lunch and Campground about 20km west of Marathon.  I stopped in to say hello to my saviors from my first trip east.  They took pity on me and gave me a full tutorial on all the systems in the motor home.  I was so naive and didn't know that I had propane tanks to heat up the water for a shower or that there was actually a furnace on board.  They showed me the ins and outs of the plumbing system and how to hook up the water.  I was trying to hook up to the water holding tank.  So, even though it isn't the KOA, these folks deserve my gratitude and my business.  Plus they sell beer which I'm going to get some of to enjoy with my book this afternoon.

I always dread the long loop up over Lake Superior and when I get here, I am again gob smacked by the extremes at every turn.  The Lake itself is so overwhelming that 30 minutes along the shore, you can't see the other side..  Thousands of miles of dense forest, hundreds of glassy little lakes each with tens of islands of all sizes and each island, populated with it's own unique flora (and fauna, I suppose).  Huge geometric rock formations of every colour loom over the highway and water gushes straight out of some of them to tumble down smooth rocky stairways and on down the ditch beside the road.

Notable, too are the number of businesses closed and abandoned along this route. I saw one 60's style motor inn with a big vacancy sign in front.  Unfortunately the roof was caving in, most of the windows were gone and there was a tree growing out of the office door.  With gas so cheap south of the border, I suspect many travellers and most truckers are going that way instead.,  Too bad.  The roads are great, traffic light and the scenery spectacular!


I'm always looking for little projects to make life easier in the motor home.  Last week, I decided that all my venetian blind chords were way too long.  So I got out the scissors and cut them all to just below the bottom of the window.  Now when I hit a rough stretch of road, it sounds like the nuns in the back are saying their rosary really fast.  Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment