Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why not Minot?






Here we are, on the road again.  We left Saskatoon in a blistering rain storm and headed Regina way.  Along the road we (the cats & me- well not really the cats - they were hold up in their usual hiding place beneath the blankets) drove through miles of moss green fields with dug outs overflowing and generously populated with happy flapping ducks.  The optimist is me saw the beauty but the pessimist was whispering in my ear "This must be the biggest mosquitoe maternity ward in the world".

As expected, south and east of Regina things flattened out a bit.  I drove through the world's biggest gravel pit and saw little herds of pump jacks nodding as I passed.  Lots of deer to be seen, as well - grazing on the "whatever it is" that is growing in the fields.

Crossing the border was interesting.  Two young men, who looked like they should be at home in their jammies watching Toy Story, asked me about my criminal past, took a quick look around the motorhome and sent me on my way.  I guess I don't look much like a national threat.  Gas in North Dakota works out to about 61 cents a litre - wahoooooo!

Having seen the movie, Fargo, I was wondering what driving through this state might be like.  To my delight, it is incredibly lovely.  The roads are good and there is very little traffic.   From the border to Minot, it is like driving lengthwise down the Qu Appelle Valley.  Beautiful green rolling hills that are home to some of the biggest, fattest, happiest Charlois cattle I've ever seen.

I thought I would perhaps drive out of the rain today, but no such luck.  Good thing I know how the furnace works.

Tomorrow, I head for Duluth, Minnesota - another fairly long day - so - to be continued......

1 comment:

  1. glad to have your blog up & running - look forward to following your adventures part deux!

    ReplyDelete