Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

LIFE IS A HIGHWAY.... "Tom Cochrane"

I've heard that song every day since I left Saskatoon - is it a message?

Today, life truly was a highway.  It was a day of contrasts and contradictions.  Northern Minnesota is very lakey.  Everyone with a vehicle seems to be towing a boat somewhere.  Wisconsin was a colourful surprise.  The soil there (ergo, the roads, too) is as bright red as PEI and the highway is lined with these lovely purple flowers.  They look like Lupins, but I suspect they are the more vengeful Purple Loustrife (spelling???)  Whatever they are, they are lovely.
I'm now in Michigan - Lake Michigamee, to be exact.  The campground is in a pine forest and very quiet.  I arrived just in time to be invited for a supper of Lumberjack Stew they offer their guests every Saturday night.  What a nice treat - and really good, to boot.


After Duluth, I saw a sign indicating the scenic Superior South Route - so I took it.  Turned out, the closest I got to Lake Superior was a huge plastic fish outside a local bait shop.  It was a nice drive, regardless.  I drove through forests, farmlands and then just at the end, what looked like the tip of the Canadian Shield.  And speaking of Duluth - The only thing that makes me need to be brave are really tall bridges - like this one.  So I plucked up my courage and crossed the bridge, took a wrong turn and went back over it the other way and then had to turn around and do it again the right way this time.  SCARRRRY!!!!

Tomorrow I will be back in Canada and heading for Sudbury. 

To be continued.........

1 comment:

  1. Hey Grandma mum says the "proodigal SUN" has returned to Saskatoon hope its nice where you are now!!

    ReplyDelete