Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Serendipity is Alive and Living in Nova Scotia

Elizabeth Patterson Johnson
As a professional (self-designated) cemeterian, I seem to have a sixth sense for finding the right tombstone in acres of them.  Of course it doesn't always work - hence the necessity of buying a new roof air conditioner this spring - but it's pretty accurate.  It has worked to find my Loyalist Great Grandparents, Alexander Peers & Mary Bolding (Me, Russell Bragg, John T. Bragg, Charles Bragg m Matilda Swallow, Hannah Teed, Jerusha Peers, Alexander & Mary),  my Cobequid Planter Great Grandmother Elizabeth (me, Russell Bragg, John T Bragg, Charles Bragg, John Bragg m Jane Rogers, Rachel Johnson, Elizabeth Patterson Johnson,  Thomas Swallow (me, Russell Bragg, John T Bragg, Charles Bragg m Matilda Swallow, Thomas Swallow).  How fortunate I am.

Thomas Swallow
Last night I got an email from a lady names Fonda Smyth.  She introduced herself as a member of the Gamble Family and said she liked the family history blog I'm doing and if I was ever in Nova Scotia, I should give her a call.  I wrote back, "Funny you should say that, I'm in Truro right now" She came back with "I live in Truro!"  So we're getting together tomorrow.

I went to the Colchester Archives and Museum to do some research today and a dear little lady heard I wanted information on the Johnsons.  She told me her great grandmother married one of  my Johnsons and then another lady piped up saying she was related too.

Alexander Peers & Mary Bolding
Turns out the guy who runs this campground is also a Johnson relative!  It never seems to end.

Tomorrow, we are venturing up to Bass River, Portaupique and Londonderry to dig around in some more cemeteries.  Went to Swiss Chalet for supper - just the ticket after all that fresh air!

Sometime genealogy is a solitary venture with hours spent poring over computer files, documents and such.  On this trip is has been more like a gathering of the clan!  And it wouldn't be near as fun without my fellow cemeterian, Ann tromping along beside me!  If you want the definition of friendship it is stomping through muddy, bug infested cemeteries in the rain and laughing about it.  Thanks Bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment