Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Canadian Hat Trick!

My mind is still boggled by $1.48 gas!  Fortunately, I filled up in Thunder Bay and didn't have to stop on the loop over Lake Superior.  Talk about highway robbery!

It was a gorgeous drive, though and I'm here in Sault Ste. Marie enjoying a glass of wine after a long day.  If you look at a map, it looks like the Highway follows the north shore of the Lake.  To the contrary, it twists and turns, dips and rises down a scenic aisle of rock and forest.  Occasionally you get a lovely surprise as you come around a bend and the seemingly endless water scape that is Lake Superior unfolds in front of you.  The trees have freshly leafed out and are still that bright, yellow green of Spring.

Just east of Thunder Bay, I saw a wolf - the first one I've ever seen in the wild.  At first I thought it was a black dog, but when it turned and looked at me - I knew for sure.   He/She was just strolling along the ditch and paying no attention to the cars whizzing by.  When I stopped to grab a photo, he obligingly stopped, posed and then carried on his merry way. This is not the photo I took because I seem to have lost my USB cable for the camera.  But this is pretty much what he looked like.  Magnificent!




A couple of hours later, I spotted a cow moose standing on a side road.  She was watching the traffic with interest and I imagine she was counting cars for some government agency or another.  At least boy moose have those incredible antlers to make up for how ugly and awkward they are.  This poor cow had nothing whatsoever going for her.




Finally, around Marathon, I saw a chubby little beaver slapping and playing in a pond that was full of dead wood and probably the perfect place for a beaver to play.

I was lucky enough today to see two vintage Harvards and a vintage Cornell aircraft take off from the airfield at Wawa, where they had been grounded by last night's thunder story.  Took me back to the days at RCAF Penhold.

Lots of nature today, lots of fresh air and this will definitely be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment