Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

WHERE'S MISS PATTY ANN? - DIGIT AND NOSEY

After a bittersweet farewell to Ann this morning, I am off on my own again for the first time in 6 weeks. 

It was a warm (not humid, for a change) day and I drove the byways through some lush and rolling country from Sharon to Parry Sound, stopping off at Gravenhurst to pick up some history books in my search for the Dowd relatives from which my maternal grandmother, Nana, descended.  This is such a beautiful area with lakes and rivers abounding.  There are still ponds of blooming water lilies along the way and I passed a perky little waterfall just before arriving at the campsite for the night.

Saw a "Turtle Crossing" sign by the road today and am hoping the little suckers are looking both ways - for a long way since the speed limit is 110. (Ah, it's nice to be back in the land where I can read the big numbers on the speedometer again!) 

I hope that guy who's been looking out for me all along this trip keeps it up.  Being a lady of leisure, I don't pay too much attention to dates or time and so, imagine my surprise to find out that we're heading into a long weekend.  All of a sudden the gas prices shot up 6 cents a litre, and this campground is fully booked for the next three nights.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as I get farther north (more than a day's drive from Toronto), the pickings won't be so slim.  Otherwise I may be boondocking it at the Walmart for the weekend.

Miss Hathaway (the GPS) was giving me grief today - probably in payback for some of the nasty things I said about her yesterday.  Somehow she got me into this very remote cottage area where the roads (so-called) were muddy, bumpy and full of twists, turns and steep hills.  It was a real maze and at one point I made a 34 point u-turn in a 27 (the motorhome is 23 feet and then has a generator hanging off the back)  foot space with a cliff in front of me and a rock wall behind.  Not only that, but once I was in there, she couldn't find our way out.  Thank goodness I finally spotted some joggers who pointed me in the right direction.  We just  can't keep arguing this way, it's hard on my nerves.


Off on a new adventure tomorrow.  To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment