Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Waxing Poetic - or Maybe Just a Little Tipsy

This was yesterday's blog.....

I just finished the most beautiful can of Blue – EVER!  After a long day on the road – really long – the campground I am at tonight is also an LCBO outlet and that big can of Blue was just sitting there promising to slake my deadly thirst!  Went down in about three big gulps – WONDERFUL!

Ney's Campground
I’m back at Ney’s Lunch and Campground where the kindly lady owner gave me some very precious lessons on motorhome operations on my very first trip through this country.  She even showed me how to work the hot water heater and the furnace.  Heck!  I didn’t even know I had a furnace at that point.  Like the star pupil returning to visit an old prof. I was able to assure her that her lessons were taken to heart and after four cross-Canada treks, I am now in a position to give a few lessons of my own.  Thanks Tammy Gillespie for the lessons back then and for your warm welcome today.


Chippewa Falls
Today!  Let’s just say my little mind was spiraling about in poetic muse at the wonder of this part of Canada.  That’s what happens when you travel alone, I guess.  To begin with, the TransCanada crosses over some of the most amazing little falls as it twists up and down through the Shield.  The Chippawa River and Speckled Trout Creek were just two that almost had me careening off the road as I caught a glimpse of them.  Cheeky, splashy falls that sparkled in the morning sun as they rushed down toward Lake Superior.



And Lake Superior!   So enormous that even a hint of the far shore cannot be seen on the horizon.  Marvelous bays, punctuated by evergreen islands and surrounded by soft, sandy beaches made it tempting not to stop more than a couple of times just to enjoy the view.

Wild Chicory
This is definitely lake country and even now, the forests are beginning to take on the patchwork look of fall.  Here and there great clusters of moribund water lilys lie in repose on their rusty-green lily pads and little flocks of geese seem to be feeding up for their upcoming flight south.
There was a little light construction going on today, but only the kind that repairs bridges and has a stoplight at each end.  Gives one time to enjoy the abundance of wildflowers growning along the ditches.  Baby blue chicory and purple loostrife predominate, dotted here and their with field daisies and buttercups and masses of yellow yarrow and white queen ann’s lace.    Ingredients for the best hippy wedding bouquet you can imagine.




On to Manitoba tomorrow where I hear gas is about $1.19.  Can’t wait but will have to do one more expensive fill up before I get there.  Gas in Ontario has been $1.15 all the way to $1.49.  You can imagine where I try to shop.

I only have wifi on my phone tonight so will try and publish this through that.  What are the chances?  After losing the power, I had no electronics last night - hence being sent today.

To be continued…..



No comments:

Post a Comment