Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2013

I'm Not Say'in'

Quebec Countryside
So here we are - still in Quebec and I am doing my level best to enjoy our travels through La Belle Province. It has been a wonderful trip from Edmundston, New Brunswick to here at the Montreal West KOA Campground.

  • I'm not sayin' that the roads in Quebec are bar none the worst in Canada.  
  • I'm not sayin' that the word TRAVEAUX means, "We'll line up a bunch of pylons along the road and make you go 70 for kilometres on end until you reach the big orange FIN sign".  
  • I'm not sayin' that these TRAVEAUX sections don't occur about every 20 km down the road.  
  • I'm not sayin' the bumper to bumper traffic on the Trans Canada Highway isn't just loads of fun.  
  • I'm not sayin' that driving and trying to translate all the French-only road signs isn't just a barrel of laughs.  
  • I'm not sayin' I understand why every 10th vehicle we encountered on the highway was towing a little home made trailer filled with stuff and covered over with garbage bags and rope.
  • I'm not sayin' that driving over the St. Lawrence on a high bridge in a gusty windstorm isn't something I've always dreamed of doing.  And we were lucky enough to get to pay for the privilege.

But:

  • I am saying that Quebec is beautiful and scenic.
  • I am saying that the people we've met have been friendly and interesting.
  • I am saying that the roadside rest stops here are the finest I've seen anywhere - and well used.
  • I am saying that Quebec drivers are no worse than those in Saskatchewan.
  • I am saying that we're only 17 km from Ontario tonight and ready to head for home.

John Deere Lawn Mower
We've seen some interesting things in our travels.  People decorate their homes with all sorts of odd and unique items that really personalize their property.  We've seen our share of lighthouses, windmills and duck ponds in Nova Scotia.  Plastic deer and little forest creatures in New Brunswick.  Religious shrines here in Quebec.  This, however, was one item we passed each day on our way to the campground in Truro.  It captured Ann's attention, particularly, because Clark is a fan of anything John Deere.  So this photo is for Clark.




Breakfast Poutine
Yesterday, I had the most interesting breakfast - unique to Quebec, I'm sure.  It was called a Breakfast Bowl and consisted of two easy-over eggs on top of a mixture of hash browns, sliced sausage, ham strips, bacon pieces and covered with melting cheese curd.  Kind of a Breakfast Poutine, if you will.  It was pretty good - but way too much, especially with 4 slices of thick, home made toast.  However, I soldiered on and am still full 30 hours later.


To be continued....................

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Worse roads than Saskatchewan??!! That's impressive. I'm thinking your son and grandson could do serious justice to that Breakfast Bowl.

    ReplyDelete