Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

WHAT IS FUNGUS FEST?

I tell you folks, as of today I have seen it all!!  I was driving through the lovely little city of Chrystal Falls on the north shore (or the UP (upper peninsula)) of Lake Michigan today and all of a sudden  I spotted a banner over the street welcoming me to Fungus Fest.  I couldn't resist - I had to find out what it is all about.  So...

What is a Humungus Fungus you ask? Several years ago a "humungus fungus" (a GIGANTIC mushroom) was discovered in the Crystal Falls area. It weighs roughly 11 tons and covers 37 acres. This makes it the largest mushroom (fungus) in the world - it's hard to believe this monster mushroom is growing in Michigan and not Texas! Based on the average rate of growth through the soil, the Humungus Fungus is probably more than 1,500 years old.

Now all I need is a REALLY bit steak!

Tonight I'm in Minnesota, just outside Duluth.  As I drove along today I was nostalgic for home when I saw thousands of Canada Geese in the parks, golf courses and, obviously cemeteries.  Only down here they call them Canadian Geese and I think it's because they need someone to blame for all that poop all over the place.

So how do you know when you're in America?  Here are some of the ways I know:

  1. Today I saw a public rifle range right beside the highway.
  2. My wallet is full of $1.00 bills
  3. I'm tooling along the highway at 55 when I realize I should be reading the little numbers and am only going 30 miles an hour.
  4. When I say I'm from Saskatchewan, many people give me that blank stare, as if I think they should know where I'm talking about.
  5. There is no Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts' Ice Caps suck!
  6. There is a John Deere dealership on every corner - just like Starbucks in Vancouver.
  7. The fact that Proposition 8 is the top story on every newscast (as if it should even be an issue).
I've seen a lot of shut down businesses along this trip - mostly motels and it seems to me that they would be great for temporary shelter for those who need it.  What a shame that people are sleeping in the streets when all these buildings meant for sleeping in, lay empty.

Off to the pool for a pre-dinner swim.

To be continued.........

No comments:

Post a Comment