Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

FAERIES???

Yesterday, my new friend from Waterfalls Lodge, Helen, made me a beautiful breakfast of bagels, cheese and fruit and coffee to start me on my way.  It was very thoughtful of her and was much appreciated.

I drove as far as Sault Ste. Marie and decided to stop for the day.  It was raining and I still haven't decided whether I'm going to head back through the states or continue on up over Lake Superior.  The KOA here is really pretty, set in a little glen surrounded by forest and alive with wildflowers and birds.  As I finished hooking up, it began to rain again - a soft quiet curtain falling gently through the already saturated air.  Can the humidity get higher than 100%?  I settled down with my coffee and set out to finish the Edward Rutherford book, The Forest, that I have been working my way through all summer. 

At some point, I realized the sun was breaking through and I looked out into this magical scene.  Tiny little rainbows arched over the puddles, like bouquets of  posies and the big fat drops of water in the grass sparkled as they fell to the ground.  It looked like a thousand faeries dancing on the wet lawn.  Maybe I'd fallen asleep while reading, but if so, it was a great dream sequence.  Oh, and the faeries were really gigantic mosquitoes.

My cats love to sit at the screen door and watch the birds and animals in the various campgrounds.  Yesterday, at Waterfalls Lodge they were riveted by Lake Gulls and Crows - black and white TV, you might say.  We bought some peanuts to feed the chipmunks at Lake Placid, so I put some out on the picnic table to see who might come along.  Over the next couple of hours, the kittys got to watch Bluejays, Cardinals, Yellow Finches, a few chipmunks and a chattery red squirrel - an upgrade to coloured TV.  Yay!

I have to say that the best deal so far on this trip is the propane.  We've showered, laundered, washed dishes, and kept warm with the furnace for a little over $30.00.  Can't beat that.

I'm going to take a look around the Sault today and than back on the road tomorrow - and into my next Edward Rutherford book.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment