Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Here Come the Cemeterians - Again!

Nova Scotia Deer
Woke up this morning to find a young doe passing through the field behind our campsite.  The sky was overcast but not dark like the last few days so it looked promising.  And - boy! - did it live up to that promise.  By noon, the sky was clear, the temperature around 21 and a lovely soft ocean breeze wafting over the green fields. A perfect day.




Folly Village 
We headed over to the Folly Village Cemetery which is only about 20k from here and, once again, found the place beautifully tended and in excellent condition.  There is a wonderful place in the middle where all the graves are listed by location - very helpful, since we were searching out about 800 of my nearest and dearest.  The work went pretty quickly although many of the stones were from the 1700s and barely legible. It's great having the motor home right there so we can stop for a drink or a change into cooler clothes.  My friend, Judy would have loved it today.  She's a big fan of crows and today there were some monster sized ones perched on some of the old Gothic style stones.

With about half the cemetery photographed, we headed over to the Masstown Market for Clams and Shrimp and Chips before coming home.  I can't seem to get enough seafood while I'm here and the clams were fabulous!

I can't believe I actually let her
point that thing at me!
In approaching any renovation job, the prepared workman or workwoman plans their work and comes outfitted in the right gear.  Such was the case this evening when Ann wanted to staple something on the ceiling.  Being directionally challenged, it always worries me to see dangerous tools in her hands but this time it turned out all right.

Last week when we were in Great Village, I suffered from an attack of Deer Flies.  I've talked about them before but didn't know what they were called.  These vicious little beasts go for the head, face and neck and after taking a big chunk out of you, leave a lump half the size of a golf ball that itches for weeks.  I got seven bites on my neck, behind my ears, under my chin and on one temple and I was going crazy.  So I went onto the internet to see what I could do.  There were some pretty funny solutions - most of which included
If only I had a pith helmet
putting some sort of apparatus on your head that is covered with some sort of sticky concoction.  One guy had a sticky salad bowl he uses when mowing his lawn.  It appeared that there was very little one could do AFTER the bite, though.  I tried Afterbite and Calamine Lotion to no effect.  Then I read about the heat treatment.  It involved directing a stream of hot air from a hair dryer at the bite for about 45 seconds and repeating 2 or 3 times a day.  Be darned if it didn't work.  I'm lump and itch free!  Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Tomorrow is supposed to get to 29 so we'll be up early to get back and finish today's cemetery.  Then perhaps lunch at Whirligigs Cafe at Wallace Bay.  Tough life.

Looking forward to dinner later this week with my cousin, Fonda whom we met on our last trip.  It was on Canada Day 2 years ago that Fonda and her family took us up to Castlereagh to see where our grandmother, Julia grew up.  The place is pretty much a ghost town now but it was a fun trip and another cemetery to cross off the list.  Fonda and her brother and sister have purchased the old church in Acadia Mines and I can't wait to hear all about their plans for it.

Also looking forward to seeing cousin, Charlotte who should be here soon for our annual "Nova Scotia" meeting of the Braggs.

As always - to be continued.......................

1 comment: